Supporting individuals with Autism and their carers across the lifespan.
The Graduate Certificate of Education (Autism) is designed to prepare educators to support individuals with Autism within their educational context. This certificate is created for educators in mainstream and other non-specialised settings.
The Graduate Certificate moves student perspectives away from the ‘one size fits all’ toolbox, instead challenging and supporting students to deepen their knowledge to apply a range of educational strategies to support individuals with Autism. Using co-constructed content and individualised learning perspectives, the certificate requires students to reflect deeply upon the important voice of lived experience and seeing the individual as a person first.
A deep understanding of the attributes and challenges of individuals with Autism and their carers managed over the lifespan deepens participants’ knowledge to inform education practices. This is achieved by using a ‘person first’ approach. The certificate is focussed for students to increase understanding of Autism, develop and apply positive support skills to effectively engage learners in a range of educational environments.
Experiential learning embedded in the course provides students with a range of perspectives of individuals with Autism through problem solving and scenario based pedagogy. An examination of the historical and theoretical components of Autism in addition to twenty first century teaching and learning is a core component. Further, this focus prepares students to create supportive learning environments to shift away from traditional views of Autism to contemporary practice and authentic inclusive education.
Key Study Outcomes:
- Apply a ‘person first’ perspective to analyse and problem solve issues and challenges
- Identify and critically analyse biases, prejudices and assumptions associated with Autism in society and educational practice
- Analyse, design and evaluate inclusive, ethical and effective learning environments
- Demonstrate specialised knowledge of Autism theory
- Demonstrate an understanding of Allied Health, carer support and collaboration skills