These terms and conditions relate to the 2017 Laureate Australia and New Zealand Alumni Grant
By entering the Laureate Australia and New Zealand (LANZ) Alumni Grant application process, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
1. Information on how to enter forms part of these Terms and Conditions.
2. The application process opens on 16 June 2017 and closes at 17:00 AEST on 4 August 2017 (“Application Period”).
3. The application process is open to LANZ alumni who have post January 2015 graduated from or are due to complete in 2017 a Diploma or higher educational qualification delivered by Think Colleges, Torrens University Australia, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School or Media Design School (an “Applicant”). Applicants must have a social good project that is yet to be implemented or has been implemented but requires financial assistance to be further developed. The social good project or idea must have an entrepreneurial focus and be of some benefit to the public by offering sustainable, innovative or efficient solutions to challenges faced in various communities. Applicants under 18 must have the consent of their parent or legal guardian consent to enter the application process and provide personal information about themselves. LANZ does not require Applicants to be currently enrolled as students and no fee is payable to apply.
4. To enter, Applicants must during the Application Period comply with the following (when applicable):
(a) Provide a 1-2 page written proposal about their social good project, how it will have a positive impact on the public and how they intend to spend the grant money. The proposal must include reference to the Applicants’ full name, contact details and residential address. It must also mention the LANZ college, university or school which the Applicant attended with course details including completion date;
(b) Provide an academic and industry reference including the full name of the referee, relationship to Applicant, company name and contact details of referee;
(c) Complete the written proposal for the first round and if successful, produce a short video for the second round in accordance with the attached explanatory materials;
(d) Applications must be received by LANZ within the Application Period via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
(e) All applications are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by LANZ and NOT at the time of transmission by the Applicant;
(f) All applications must be the original independent creation of the Applicant; and
(g) LANZ reserves the right to request the applicant and/or recipient of the grant to provide proof of age and identity. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of LANZ.
5. Written submissions will be accepted by all eligible Applicants and judged by LANZ personnel.
6. The selection committee panel consisting of LANZ qualified representatives (including Deans and General Managers) and employer representatives chosen by LANZ will select those Applicants with the most suitable and feasible written submissions from the first round. These successful Applicants will proceed to the second round of the application process, which involves the production of a short video about their social good project proposal.
7. From those who proceed to the second round of the application process, the selection committee will choose 5 successful Applicants that have provided a short video pitch on their proposal. Each of these 5 successful Applicants will be from one of the following academic verticals: Business, Design, Health, Hospitality and Education. As finalists, the 5 successful Applicants will each be awarded a grant of $2,000 and proceed to the last round of the application process.
8. The final round of the application process is for each of the 5 finalists chosen by the selection committee panel to present their proposal to an executive judging panel consisting of LANZ executive personnel and other representatives at the discretion of LANZ (which may be by telephone, video conference, online or in person) to potentially be in receipt of another overall grant of $8,000.
9. LANZ reserves the right to verify the validity of applications at any time during or after the Application Period, and reserves the right to disqualify any Applicant who tampers with the application process or who submits an application that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Failure by LANZ to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
10. LANZ is neither responsible nor liable for late, lost or misdirected applications, or applications not received by LANZ for any reason whatsoever. Applicants should not send in original copies of their applications. No responsibility will be taken by LANZ in the event that the original application is lost or damaged in editing.
11. The decisions of the selection committee panel and executive judging panel will be made in the absolute discretion of the panels (based on its view of the creativity of the video submission and the performance of chosen Applicants in the presentation) and its decision will be final.
12. The successful Applicants of the first round will be notified by 11 August 2017 by phone and/or email and invited to submit a short video for the second round. The closing date for submission of the videos by those successful Applicants is 8 September 2017. The 5 finalists proceeding to the final round of the application process will be announced on 15 September 2017 and have an opportunity to pitch to the LANZ executive judging panel on 10 October 2017. The 2017 LANZ Alumni Entrepreneur will be announced at the finalists’ cocktail celebration on 11 October 2017. For clarity, LANZ is not obliged to notify unsuccessful Applicants.
13. There will be five grants provided in Australian dollars to a value of $2,000 each awarded to successful Applicants chosen as finalists from one of the following academic verticals: Business, Design, Health, Hospitality and Education. One of those five finalists and recipients will be chosen by the executive judging panel, named the overall LANZ Alumni Entrepreneur and receive an extra grant of $8,000.
14. The grant must be taken in the form offered and the grant is not transferrable.
15. LANZ will pay for domestic airfares from within Australia to Sydney for each of the finalists to present their social good project and/or attend the finalists’ cocktail celebration. LANZ will also cover up to 2 nights’ accommodation in Sydney for the finalists and reimburse up to $200 for other travel expenses incurred during their trip including taxi transfers to and from the airport (subject to receipts being provided for purposes of reimbursement).
16. Flights are economy class and may be indirect. The airline’s Conditions of Carriage apply to all flights. Airline flight route and dates of travel are subject to LANZ’s absolute and final decision.
17. It is the responsibility of the finalists to ensure they are checked in for their flights, and arrive at the airport, on the correct date and at the time specified by the relevant airline carrier. LANZ is not responsible for any costs associated with the finalist missing any of their flights.
18. Unless specified otherwise, the finalists are responsible for all expenses including, without limitation, transport to and from departure point including but not limited to additional domestic airfares if required, any meals or beverages, any sightseeing or activities, any transfers, any insurance, personal spending money, and all other ancillary costs, as well as obtaining any of these. The grant also excludes medical expenses, items of a personal nature, alcoholic beverages, optional tours, laundry, telephone calls, room or flight upgrades, incidentals, energy surcharges, gratuities, service charges, in-room charges or other ancillary costs associated with redeeming the grant other than those specified. These costs and expenses are the responsibility of the finalist. Any extension to the duration of the travel is at the finalist’s sole expense and subject to availability at the time of booking. Taxes for domestic travel are included in any domestic airfares.
19. Tax implications may arise from the grant and the finalists should seek independent financial advice prior to acceptance of the grant.
20. If for any reason this application process is not capable of running as planned (including but not limited to) technical failures, unauthorised intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the control of LANZ which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this application process, LANZ reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the application process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the application process.
Obligations of finalists
21. LANZ and its institutions are not liable for any matters (including death and injury) occurring in relation to the finalists not directly related to their activities for the application process.
22. By accepting the grant, the finalists are required:
(a) to complete written blog materials, appear in marketing videos and represent LANZ institutions as a brand ambassador as reasonably requested by LANZ, take part in marketing activities and events (such as open days, information evenings, workshops) and to provide testimonials if so required;
(b) to allow their video submission to be used in public relations and media campaigns in such form as LANZ may determine; and
(c) to provide at the request of LANZ proof of payments and purchases made towards their social good project.
Conduct of finalists
23. Successful Applicants will be acting as a brand ambassador for the LANZ institutions. Serious misbehaviour or detrimental conduct may lead to LANZ withdrawing all or part of the grant. The successful Applicant is responsible for their own actions and behaviour and LANZ and its institutions accept no liability for those actions.
24. Laureate Education Services Australia Pty Ltd ACN 603 224 728 (“LANZ”) is arranging this application process and is working in conjunction with the following LANZ institutions: Torrens University Australia Ltd ACN 154 937 005, Think: Colleges Pty Ltd ACN 050 049 299, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School Pty Ltd ACN 004 004 317 and Media Design School NZBN 9429 039 667 366.
25. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, LANZ and each of the related entities (including their officers, employees and agents) exclude all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the application process, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under LANZ’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any application or grant claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by LANZ) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of LANZ; (d) any variation in grant value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by the finalists or an Applicant; (f) participation in the application process and/or (g) redemption of the grant by the finalists.
26. The Applicants agree that LANZ retains all right, title and interest in their copyright materials, patent rights, trademarks, designs and other property whether arising by common law or by statute. The Applicants warrant that their written proposal and video will not infringe those rights or the rights of any third person.
27. Application details remain the property of LANZ. The personal information of Applicants will be collected by LANZ for the purpose of conducting and promoting this application process (including for the purpose of identifying and notifying the finalists). Without limiting the foregoing, LANZ may disclose the personal information of Applicants to other parties assisting in the administration of the application process including to LANZ’s related entities, external service providers and authorities that regulate this application process. LANZ, its related entities and business partners (as applicable) may also use the Applicants’ personal information for the purpose of sending direct marketing messages with respect to programs, products and services available through any or all of them.
28. These terms and conditions and the conduct of the application process are governed by the laws of the State of New South Wales, Australia and all Applicants submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that State and all courts which may hear appeal therefrom.
Find a course