At Torrens University, we’re here to help
Financial help available
Domestic students may be eligible to apply for a FEE-HELP loan or a VET Student Loan (VSL) to pay for all or part of your tuition fees.
Am I eligible?
Your eligibility for FEE-HELP and VET student Loan depends on criteria such as your citizenship status, and whether you’re looking to study in an undergraduate, postgraduate of vocational education program.
Find out if you're eligible on the Australian Government's Study Assist website.
Choose your course for FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan information
CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible domestic fee-paying students to pay their tuition fees. FEE-HELP is only available to domestic students and may exclude students on a permanent residency visa . Eligible students can borrow up to the FEE-HELP limit to pay their tuition fees. There is a limit to how much FEE-HELP you can borrow.
For most students the FEE-HELP loan limit is $109, 206 (there is a higher limit for some approved courses). Indexation does not count towards your FEE-HELP limit.
There is a 20 per cent FEE-HELP loan fee applied to some undergraduate study. Torrens University students are exempt from this fee.
Torrens University students enrolling in 2021 will not incur a loan fee when accessing FEE-HELP to defer tuition fees. Any loan fees that were applied to study prior to 1 January 2019 will not count towards your FEE-HELP limit. You start repaying your FEE-HELP through the Australian tax system once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold, which is $47,014 in 2021-2022.
What courses are applicable to FEE-HELP?
All courses at diploma level or above are applicable for FEE-HELP (except for English Courses) but you need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?
You are eligible for FEE-HELP assistance for a unit of study (i.e. subject) if you:
- Are an Australian citizen and study at least part of your course in Australia; or
- A New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holder or permanent humanitarian visa holder and meet the residency requirements- permanent residents can only get FEE-HELP for approved bridging studies.
- Enrolled in a fee-paying place at a provider that offers FEE-HELP loans
- Enrolled in an eligible course at your provider by the census date (your provider can tell you if your course is eligible)
- Submit the Request for FEE-HELP loan form to your provider by the census date
- Have an available HELP balance
- Have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to the first census date (for new enrolments from 1 January 2021)
For further information, visit the Australian Government website Study Assist.
How to apply for FEE-HELP?
If you receive an offer from Torrens University Australia, and you meet the eligibility requirements you may be eligible for FEE-HELP. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form if you want to access FEE-HELP to defer payment of some, or all, of your tuition fees. You will need to quote your tax file number or provide a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number. The form must be completed before the due date.
What is VET Student Loan?If you’re a Domestic student and interested in studying CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling you may be eligible for VET Student Loans. VET Student Loan (VSL) is a Commonwealth Government loan scheme that assists students to pay a part of their VET Student Loan tuition fee.
Am I eligible for VET Student Loan?You are eligible for a VET Student Loan if you are:
- an Australian citizen; or
- hold a permanent humanitarian visa and usually reside in Australia;
- be a qualifying New Zealand citizen
How do I apply for a VET Student Loan?
If you receive an offer from Torrens University Australia, and you meet the eligibility requirements you may be eligible for VET Student Loan. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form if you want to access VET Student Loan to defer payment of some, or all, of your tuition fees. You will need to quote your tax file number or provide a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number. The form must be completed before the due date.
To find out more about VET Student LoanFor detailed information, including a VET Student Loan information booklet, please refer to the Australian Government’s Study Assist website or contact us.
Subject fee breakdown by facultyThe fees listed below indicate the cost per subject for 2023 for your course.
EFTSL = Equivalent Full-Time Student Load is a measure of the study load for one year for a student undertaking a course on a full-time basis. Typically, most courses have a full-time load of 8 subjects per year, which is equivalent to 0.125 EFTSL per subject.
Fees for each trimester must be paid before the trimester commences.
If you withdraw from a course you may be eligible for a refund or a re-credit of your FEE-HELP or VET Student loan balance in accordance with our Student Refund Policy or, for international students, a re-credit of tuition fees paid under the International Student Refund Policy.
Torrens University Australia students have protection for their tuition fees through the Tuition Protection Service. The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist:
- International students
- Eligible domestic students accessing a FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP (HELP) or VET Student Loan (VSL)
- Domestic higher education students who pay their fees directly to their provider.
- When your education provider is unable to fully deliver a course of study.
The TPS ensures that these students are able to either:
- Complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
- Receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees (international students and prepaid HE students) or
- A re-credit of their loan for open units of study (VSL and HELP) For further information, please access the TPS webpage.
For student category (VET Student Loan domestic upfront paying student) that is not covered by TPS, Torrens University Australia maintains an adequate amount of restricted cash in Fee Protection Trust Account with reputable financial institution. Annual assessment is performed to ensure the restricted cash amount is at a satisfactory level.