Student Accommodation options while studying at Torrens University Australia | Friends Hero Large
In Australia, there are many accommodation options for international students that provide the ideal study-life balance.

Key information

Rental accommodation is highly sought after and requires prior planning for international students who choose to study in Australia. Costs depend on the city you live in and the type of accommodation you choose. When choosing a place to live, you should consider:

  • How far will you have to travel to the campus?
  • Is it easily accessible by public transport?
  • Do you have access to shopping centres, hospitals, and other facilities?
  • Is the place furnished or unfurnished?
  • How many others will you be sharing with and what are they like?
  • How much is the total cost? Does this cost include expenses such as bond and utility fees?

When applying for accommodation, here are some tips:

  • Do not rely on photos on a website. Make sure you visit in person
  • Avoid paying a deposit on a place you have never seen and always see lease agreement or contract first
  • Never give out personal details to someone you have never met in exchange for more information about a property
  • Be aware of your rights as a tenant
  • Be aware of different types of accommodation
  • Choose student accommodation that is approved by the National Property Accreditation Scheme

Types of accommodation

Once you have received confirmation of your studies at Torrens University Australia, you should look for accommodation that suits your needs and budget. Popular accommodation options for international students in Australia include:
  • Homestay 
  • Residential colleges or purpose-built student accommodation
  • Private rental or share house
  • Youth hostels and other short-stay or budget accommodation

Homestay is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family, the Homestay Host, and an international student who lives in their home while studying in Australia. It serves as an accommodation option for students under the age of 18 and over 18's. In exchange for a small weekly fee, the host provides the student with all their basic needs, including their own room, food (if applicable), and a space to study. Visit the Australian Homestay Network website for more information. 

Amber student accommodation

Torrens University has partnered with Amber, a leading student accommodation platform with presence across Australia. Amber offers a lot of housing options for students including private rooms and ensuite on their platform. They offer free expert assistance, 100% verified listings and price-match guarantee while minimizing the hassles of paperwork. You can easily find an affordable option for your accommodation close to your campus. Visit the Amber Student website to book your accommodation.

Find more details about how to apply for student rental accommodation and related topics, visit Study in Australia. To find apartments and share houses, visit national property websites such as Student Accommodation Association. Please contact the Student Support team at your campus for a full list of recommended accommodation websites.

Your legal responsibilities as a tenant
  • Accommodation paid on time
  • Day-to-day cleaning and maintenance
Legal responsibilities of the accommodation owner
  • Tenant to feel secure in the property
  • Accommodation is properly maintained and has working facilities

Accommodation checklist

Here is a useful checklist you can use before you agree to any accommodation option.

  • Carefully read your contract or lease agreement
    It’s important you understand the terms of your accommodation agreement before you sign on. Our Student Support team can help you read through it. If you pay a bond or deposit, always receive a receipt.
  • Check the inventory and condition report
    When you rent, you will receive a list of contents belonging to your property (an inventory), which notes the condition of each item (a condition report). Check for accuracy before you sign your agreement and clearly note any damages or missing items.

  • Keep an eye on costs
    Find out what additional expenses you must pay on top of your deposit and rent. Make sure you understand what is and is not included in the rent price.
  • Ask for advice
    If you have any questions relating to your accommodation, talk to your real estate agent or landlord (if renting), or your homestay service provider. There is always someone who can help.

Living at Leura (Blue Mountains) campus

With modern teaching and recreational facilities, our Leura (Blue Mountains) campus combines hotel living with world-class learning. It is available to undergraduate students undertaking bachelor programs at the Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS), who study and live here.

Just a two-hour train ride from Sydney, BMIHMS immerses you in the world of hospitality, tourism, and travel, with its live student-run hotel and restaurants. As well as free meals, make use of high-end facilities and nearby World Heritage hikes. The campus is home to an English Language Centre, and you’ll receive non-stop support with a 24/7 duty manager on hand.

Find out more about our Leura (Blue Mountains) campus

Frequently asked questions

  • Does Torrens University have accommodation at other campuses?
    While the Leura Campus is our only live on campus facility, there are lots of accommodation options near our other campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Adelaide. For a full list of recommended accommodation websites, please contact the Student Support team at your campus
  • How do I find accommodation?
    Student accommodation options and costs will depend on the city you’ll live in and where you choose to stay. Popular options for international student accommodation in Australia include:
    • Private rental or share house
    • Homestay
    • Residential colleges or private student accommodation
    • Youth hostel and other short-stay or budget accommodation

    Visit for more information about how to apply for student accommodation and related topics.

    If you are a Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School student, accommodation on campus is mandatory as part of your bachelor degree. To find out more, visit Hospitality courses.

  • Do I need to stay at the Leura Campus?

    Only our first and second-year students undertaking the International Hotel and Resort Management Bachelor program at the Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS) must stay at the Practical Learning Centre at our Leura, Blue Mountains campus. It consists of a simulated hotel, where you will complete practical training in food and beverage, housekeeping, and front-office duties.

  • What options do I have if I only require short-term housing?

    There are several options available for short-term housing, such as backpacker’s hostels, hotels or serviced apartments. You should make your enquiries about the suitability and condition of the accommodation in advance as it will be highly sought after.

  • Is there emergency accommodation available during the pandemic?

    The Australian Homestay Network can provide a short-term accommodation arrangement between an individual or family (host) and an eligible international student (guest). We anticipate the homestay period will be for four weeks (a shorter length of stay may be available upon request) and will include accommodation in a private bedroom, meals (unless otherwise arranged) and utilities. For more information, visit the Australian Homestay Network.

    Contact us for more information.

  • What are the average accommodation costs in Australia?

    You should look for accommodation that suits your needs and budget. The Commonwealth Government provides a breakdown of average Australian accommodation costs for international students. Read about education and living costs in Australia.

  • Can students under the age of 18 get accommodation?
    All underage international students applying for a student visa must demonstrate that they have adequate welfare arrangements for the duration of their student visa or until they turn 18. Under the Migration Regulations 1994, a student who is under 18 can reside in Australia if they are with a parent or legal custodian or a suitable nominated relative who is over 21 years old and of good character and with the university approving their accommodation and welfare arrangements. For more information, contact our international student advisors.
Need assistance?
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.