Study Abroad Program
Enhance your university experience with our Study Abroad program, to immerse yourself in new cultures and enrich your education.
What is Study Abroad?
Study Abroad is overseas study or other academic activity undertaken with a third-party global study provider, industry partner or educational institution that is not subject to an exchange agreement with Torrens University Australia. The Study Abroad program is non-award and involves the payment of tuition fees to the overseas host institution.
What is Student Exchange?
Student Exchange is overseas study undertaken for one or two sessions, completed under an exchange agreement between Torrens University and another educational institution. Exchange students remain enrolled with us as well as the host institution overseas. They continue to pay their tuition fees to Torrens University.
Keep in mind, the Student Exchange program is not available at all partner universities and there may be limits on how many students participate in the program at a host university at one time. If this limit has already been reached, you may need to consider applying to the Study Abroad program.
Why Study Abroad?
Torrens University Australia offers a diverse and flexible Study Abroad program for a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in many different subject areas. From the social aspect to the academic experience, there are many benefits for students who choose to live and study in a foreign country. You could:
- Learn a new language
- Make lifelong friends
- Gain independence and become more self-reliant
- Gain Advance Standing for units
- Enhance your employment prospects after graduation with a truly global experience
For more information, head to the Student Hub or get in touch with one of our Study Abroad staff members.
Due to the COVID-19 cases around the world, Torrens University Australia has suspended all outgoing student international mobility for the near future. All programs will be reviewed prior to delivery in relation to travel advisories and student health and safety, and may not proceed if the university is not confident of both. We recommend that students do not book travel until the programs are confirmed and we will endeavour to do this as far as possible in advance.
Choose your student type for entry requirements
Study Abroad Program for Australian Students
If you are a student at Torrens University Australia and you’d like to partake in the Study Abroad program, you must:
Be undertaking a bachelor degree in either Business, Design and Creative Technology or Hospitality
- Have completed your first year of study at one of our institutions
- Have minimum credit average
- Have an Australian passport or visa approval to travel and study offshore
You must be prepared to study full time on campus at your host institution. The number of exchange places can be limited and not all courses offer Study Abroad or Student Exchange programs.
All programs will be reviewed prior to delivery in relation to travel advisories and student health and safety, and may not proceed if the university is not confident of both. We recommend that students do not book travel until the programs are confirmed and we will endeavour to do this as far as possible in advance.
Partner Institutions for Australian Students
Partner Institutions for Australian Students As a student of Torrens University, you have the world at your feet. Our partner institutions are spread all over the globe, offering you the chance to enrich your education and broaden your network in a world-class city. Depending on your area of study, you could experience student life in:
Europe Milan, Italy: Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti (Design students) Berlin, Germany: University of Applied Sciences, Europe (Design and Business students) Madrid, Spain: Universidad Europea (Design and Business students)
Asia Mumbai and New Delhi, India: Pearl Academy (Design and Business students) Bangkok. Thailand: Stamford International University (Design and Business students) Nilai, Malaysia: INTI University (Design and Business students) Suzhou, China: Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (Hospitality students)
North America San Diego, USA: New School of Architecture and Design (Design students)
New Colombo Plan Scholarship
Selected students receive a scholarship of up to $20,000, to go towards the host university’s tuition fees, plus allowances and monthly expenses to live, study and intern for three to 19 months. Students will also complete an internship or mentorship program.
Applicants should be available to commence studying overseas between 1 January 2021 and 15 December 2021. Academic credit will be granted to successful applicants towards their degree. This program is jointly administrated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading and the Department of Education.Visit Student Hub for more details and to stay informed about the 2022 round of application. You can also contact us for information on destinations, as well as application criteria and processes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Colombo Plan Mobility Program
New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility grants have been allocated to a selection of short-term and semester-based activities. These include study programs, internships, mentorships, practicums and research activities. To be eligible, students must be:
- An Australian citizen
- Enrolled in a bachelor degree for the duration of the Mobility Program
- Willing to assist in promoting Torrens University Australia and the Exchange Program abroad
- An undergraduates aged between 18 and 28 (only some capacity to include students over 28)
Program changes under COVID-19
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and associated travel restrictions, the Prime Minister has agreed to the virtual delivery on NCP Mobility programs and NCP Scholarship internships programs as a temporary measure. The university is looking at innovative ways to deliver current NCP Mobility projects to provide virtual experiential learning. These may include the following program types:
- Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) with partner institutions, which will see Australian students work with cohorts of students and staff from the Indo-Pacific institutions
- Online International Learning (OIL) experiences, such as exchange-based online learning with partners, eg. summer schools
- Faculty-led programs, moderated by a faculty lead with their partners and organisations in the region
- Internships and practicums with offshore Indo-Pacific organisations, enabling students to expand their communication, team work and problem-solving skills as they work across cultures, time zones and languages
- Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) experiences developed to enable students’ collaboration in solving business problems, working with partner corporations in the Indo-Pacific
The shift away from in-country experiences should not diminish the quality and impact of mobility projects. Students should continue to establish lifelong connections in the Indo-Pacific, deepen their understanding of foreign cultures and increase their future employability as graduates with genuine global experience.
Study Abroad Program for International Students
Come to Australia as part of your overseas degree for a memorable student experience with a credible, industry-immersive difference. Torrens University, Australia’s fastest-growing university, has campuses in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
Generally, most subjects at Torrens University are worth 10 credit points each. Students must study a full-time load, which is three subjects worth 30 credit points. Each subject has 36 contact hours in class per trimester and 120 overall study hours. Please contact your local university for more information about fees and course credits.
International students need to meet the following English language test requirements to be eligible for the study abroad program. The English requirements include the following:
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Undergraduate degrees: Academic IELTS 6.0 (no band less than 5.5)
- Postgraduate degrees: Academic IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0)
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Undergraduate degrees: 60 (with min 18 in writing)
- Postgraduate degrees: 79 (with min 21 in writing)
Cambridge English Scale Score (from 2015)
- Undergraduate: 169 (with no sub-score <162)
- Postgraduate: 176 (with no sub-score <169)
Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Undergraduate: 50 (with no sub-score <42)
- Postgraduate: 58 (with no sub-score <50)
For more details about Torrens University, visit our International Students page.
Partner Institutions for International Students
Torrens University Australia has partnered with institutions in cities all over the world, including Milan, Florence, London, Paris, Shanghai, Mumbai and Miami.