At Torrens University, we’re here to help
Financial help available
Domestic students may be eligible to apply for a FEE-HELP loan or a VET Student Loan (VSL) to pay for all or part of your tuition fees.
Am I eligible?
Your eligibility for FEE-HELP and VET student Loan depends on criteria such as your citizenship status, and whether you’re looking to study in an undergraduate, postgraduate of vocational education program.
Find out if you're eligible on the Australian Government's Study Assist website.
Choose your course for FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan information
CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible domestic fee-paying students to pay their tuition fees. FEE-HELP is only available to domestic students and may exclude students on a permanent residency visa . Eligible students can borrow up to the FEE-HELP limit to pay their tuition fees. For 2021 the FEE-HELP limit is $108,232 for most students. Indexation does not count towards your FEE-HELP limit.
Torrens University students enrolling in 2021 will not incur a loan fee when accessing FEE-HELP to defer tuition fees. Any loan fees that were applied to study prior to 1 January 2019 will not count towards your FEE-HELP limit.
Students repay the loan to the Australian Government through the tax system once a student reaches the minimum income threshold level for repayment, which for 2020-2021 is $46,620.00.
What courses are applicable to FEE-HELP?
All courses at diploma level or above are applicable for FEE-HELP (except for English Courses) but you need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?You are eligible for FEE-HELP assistance for a unit of study (i.e. subject) if you:
- Undertake study with an approved provider.
- Meet the citizenship and residency requirements:
- An Australian citizen or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency criteria and who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to your course;
- A permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your unit;
- Are a permanent visa holder who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be a resident in Australia for the duration of the study.
- Enrolled in an eligible unit of study by the census date for the unit.
- Have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit.
How to apply for FEE-HELP?
If you receive an offer from Torrens University Australia, and you meet the eligibility requirements you may be eligible for FEE-HELP. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form if you want to access FEE-HELP to defer payment of some, or all, of your tuition fees. You will need to quote your tax file number or provide a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number. The form must be completed before the due date.
What is VET Student Loan?If you’re a Domestic student and interested in studying CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling you may be eligible for VET Student Loans.
VET Student Loan (VSL) is a Commonwealth Government loan scheme that assists students to pay a part of their VET Student Loan tuition fee.
Am I eligible for VET Student Loan?You are eligible for a VET Student Loan if you are:
- an Australian citizen; or
- hold a permanent humanitarian visa and usually reside in Australia;
- be a qualifying New Zealand citizen
How do I apply for a VET Student Loan?
If you receive an offer from Torrens University Australia, and you meet the eligibility requirements you may be eligible for VET Student Loan. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form if you want to access VET Student Loan to defer payment of some, or all, of your tuition fees. You will need to quote your tax file number or provide a Certificate of Application for a Tax File Number. The form must be completed before the due date.
To find out more about VET Student LoanFor detailed information, including a VET Student Loan information booklet, please refer to the Australian Government’s Study Assist website or contact us.
Subject fee breakdown by facultyThe fees listed below indicate the cost per subject for 2021 for your course.
Fees for each trimester must be paid before the trimester commences.
If you withdraw from a course you may be eligible for a refund or a re-credit of your FEE-HELP or VET Student loan balance in accordance with our Student Refund Policy or, for international students, a re-credit of tuition fees paid under the International Student Refund Policy.
Torrens University Australia students have protection for their tuition fees through the Tuition Protection Service. The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist:
- International students
- Eligible domestic students accessing a FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP (HELP) or VET Student Loan (VSL)
- Domestic higher education students who pay their fees directly to their provider.
- When your education provider is unable to fully deliver a course of study.
The TPS ensures that these students are able to either:
- Complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
- Receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees (international students and prepaid HE students) or
- A re-credit of their loan for open units of study (VSL and HELP) For further information, please access the TPS webpage.
For student category (VET Student Loan domestic upfront paying student) that is not covered by TPS, Torrens University Australia maintains an adequate amount of restricted cash in Fee Protection Trust Account with reputable financial institution. Annual assessment is performed to ensure the restricted cash amount is at a satisfactory level.