Branded Fashion Design careers
Shape the future of the industry by becoming involved in a range of fashion design jobs. Take a sustainable ground-up approach in a role as a Fashion Designer, help boutiques stay ahead of the curve in your capacity as a Trend Forecaster or even delve into styling for leading fashion labels. No matter the direction you choose, there is a whole world of options in fashion design careers.
Get ahead of the latest trends and inspire through couture.
Fashion Designers create stylish clothing and accessories while sticking to set budgets and timelines. Couture-based design is all around us, with job opportunities ranging all the way from high fashion runways to timeless pieces. Bring your production management prowess for iconic brands like Calvin Klein, or lead the charge in commercialising your own label.
What does a Fashion Designer do?
- Use 2D and 3D imaging software to design clothes and accessories
- Collaborate with clients and external departments to create a vision
- Manage production aspects such as building budgets and sourcing fabrics
- Balance aesthetics and utility when creating clothes and accessories
Evaluate designer collections and consumer patterns to determine the next big thing in the world of couture.
As a Trend Forecaster, your job is to stay on top of upcoming developments and predict their impact on the industry. Combining your instincts with constant research and an eye for the novel, you will be an asset in a variety of industries, predicting what’s coming next. Your career as a Trend Forecaster could have you working with retailers, designers, advertising firms and other industries which rely on fashion as a selling point.
What does a Trend Forecaster do?
- Guide human culture through instinct, research findings and analytics
- Have a hand in a range of industries, inspiring runway looks and media campaigns
- Lead the industry by making predictions about colours, shapes, patterns and fabrics
- Determine the scope and direction of campaigns for diverse markets
Oversee the purchase of clothes and accessories for a business, targeting specific markets and price points.
Fashion Buyers take responsibility for the purchasing decisions in retail environments. Blending your eye for fashion and business acumen, you will be responsible for generating profits across the retail sector. Among other duties, you can help stores target specific markets and price points to attract customers. Lead the charge in corporate fashion retail, help independent boutiques in their development or start your own online shop.
What does a Fashion Buyer do?
- Liaise with trend forecasters and designers when making purchasing decisions
- Be a part of the merchandising process in deciding stock, volumes and budgets
- Attend fashion shows to stay abreast of current and upcoming trends
- Source fabric and materials, assisting designers in the production of stylish garments
Become a consultant and work for an individual or focus on corporate, editorial or runway styling.
Stylists co-ordinate all aspects of a person’s look. Put together catwalk shows, generate sales through eye-catching editorial photoshoots or make the celebration special for events such as weddings or formals. Your keen eye for fashion and ability to match the shape to the look will bring you to the frontlines in all areas of the fashion industry.
What does a Stylist do?
- Tailor outfits and looks to each individual and occasion
- Experiment with fresh ideas to stay ahead of the fashion curve
- Liaise with clients to determine their likes, dislikes and definitely-nots
- Work with make-up artists and other creatives to create stunning beauties
Explore Branded Fashion Design courses
Bachelor of CommerceProvides a culturally diverse and career-oriented educational experience.Course code BCOM16 | CRICOS 088180GMaster of Professional AccountingThe Master of Professional Accounting is designed to meet the global demand for high-quality graduates in accounting.Course code MPA | CRICOS 095358FMaster of Professional Accounting (Advanced)The Master of Professional Accounting is designed to meet the global demand for high-quality graduates in accounting.Course code MPAA | CRICOS 090254K
Master of Business Administration (MBA)Our MBA was recently ranked as a Tier One program and our online MBA was ranked 27th by CEO Magazine in their largest-ever global survey of MBA courses.Course code MBA16 | CRICOS 095353M
Find a career you love